Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Channeling The Energy


So I spent the last week on vacation. Overall it was one of the most fun weeks I have had in a long time. My cousin got married in a little town in North Carolina then I spent 3 days on the beach at Nags Head. Growing up in the middle of the country I can truly appreciate being at the beach for a few days and I am jealous of those who get to live there. 

I couldn't have asked for a better vacation.


As  I settle back into my life of graduate school and lots of work I am trying to make up for lost sleep and work to make sure to get all of my work done up to standard. However even with being tired and overwhelmed with things that I have to get done I can’t help but smile about the fun and memories I had over the past week, knowing those memories and experiences have made my life better.
So I am trying my best to take advantage of that energy and channel it to the things I need to do. It already has started to be a challenge. Upon my first morning back coaching I was faced with lots of negative attitudes. This was frustrating because I am trying to channel my energy to my work and before I know it it gets hit with a wave of negativity.  This however is not something that I am going to let get to me. It just takes a little perspective and focus to get past.

 My swimmers are in a very heavy training portion of the season. They are worn down and tired. I spent my Saturday at a swim meet with them and the advice I was giving them the most was to get their heads in the correct (positive) state of mind. When faced with a challenge when worn down they, like most others, try their hardest to get out of it because they feel they won’t get the result they want. I encouraged them to think about their races because if they can put themselves in a positive state of mind they will benefit from the swim even if it is not a personal best time. Even though they were not swimming their best times (they aren’t supposed to be as a part of training style) the swimmers that were able to take the message to heart came out of their races with an overall better attitude.

Working out and exercising is something that most people don’t get excited about and want to avoid but it can also be the best point of your day and be a determining factor in how a person’s day goes. It is all about challenging your energy to make changes for the better. Getting yourself in the right state of mind may be the determining factor of your workout result, or any part of your day for that matter.

When you have good times, ride the wave, channel the energy and let the positivity spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment