Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Doing what you can, when you can’t do what you want


I have been an active individual all of my life. For as long as I can remember my left shoulder has caused problems for me. In recent weeks it has been worse than normal and I have even seen a surgeon to get it looked at. They gave me 2 options cortisone shot, or go in and look and perform surgery. With some guidance I am choosing option 3, rehabbing it and getting it looked at when awesomeness goes into full effect in about a month.

While I have been sidelined with this I haven’t been able to be as active as I would like to be due to pain levels. I have made it my point to make sure to take a good look at my nutrition and get it on a good level.  It has taken about a month of really working at it but I have gotten to a point where I don’t want to eat junk food. Yes I still have ice cream, but I don’t want it all the time, and it is in smaller portions. I am lucky enough to have a large garden at my disposal ripe with fresh lettuce, broccoli,  squash, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, corn and green beans (there are other veggies too but these are the ones I like). 

Even with the sporadic workouts and indifferent energy level while trying to rest and rehab I have managed to lose weight, because of the change in diet. This gets me very excited for when I am able to get back into longer training bouts because I have spent the time working on my nutrition, that my fitness will be able to pair with it well. I am making the best out of the situation I am in. 

Making a change like this doesn’t happen overnight, it took a month for me. And it isn’t always easy. But sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself while you heal or deal with injury, doesn’t help you heal, it just hampers your mental state, leading to other compounding factors. 

I have taken this setback of pain as a learning experience, I am a nerd of course, and I like challenges, taking the easy isn’t fun, and you don’t get anything out of it. So if you happen to get injured or are hindered from doing an activity you want to do, do what you can to better yourself by focusing on another variable and improving something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment