Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The best thing I do all week


I work with personal training clients, I coach my swimmers, I study different books, I am exploring different hobbies with my newly acquired free time. While these activities make up a good portion of my week and they are enjoyable and make up my life there is one hour each week that stands above the rest.

On and off for almost a year now I spend my Tuesday nights volunteering with the YMCA Challenger program as a buddy helping with various sports. Out of everything that happens in my week this is the best thing I can do. Through Challenger I have been fortunate enough to get to know a lot of young people with physical and or mental impairments and help them play sports and have fun while doing it. The most important aspect is that the athletes have fun, and I don’t think I have ever seen an athlete leave unhappy. 

No matter how my day or week has been I look forward to Tuesday nights. I look forward to the smiles and happy faces of the kids given an opportunity to play a sport they enjoy with friends. Tonight we were in the second week of our bowling program, and the pins were flying. Earlier in the summer I helped with baseball, and last fall was tennis. The sports create a strong community for kids who might not have gotten a chance to participate otherwise.

I write this post as words of encouragement to promote volunteerism of any kind to help something that is close to you. I have chosen to donate an hour of the week to Challenger, you may choose to help other charities, any amount of help is appreciated. Realize that you always have something to give even if you don’t have the monetary resources to do so. I don’t have the money to give a lot yet but when I do, it will be given to others who need it in my community. Giving your time is a valuable option and it allows you to gain a perspective you might have missed in your life journey thus far. Just my one hour a week has helped me create friendships and help others, this is truly the best thing I can do all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment