Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Defeating the lizard brain


Earlier this year, by a recommendation in an article by Jon Goodman, I read Seth Godin’s  LINCHPIN:Are You Indispensable? (this book has instantly become one of my favorites) Among the topics in the book Godin talks about the Resistance, or lizard brain, the part of everyone that prevents them from taking a risk, doing an unfamiliar activity, or shipping one’s work. 

Mine is loud, terribly loud. I have trouble quieting it, but I realize it needs to be quieted and I fight back. A lot of people suffer from this and they might not even know it because their lizard brain has been active and winning for so long. There is hope, because as Godin talks about, when the lizard brain starts to feel pressure it fights, but it would much rather run away. Even when you think you have battles won the lizard brain will try and sneak in and try to steal a victory right from underneath your nose. (My lizard brain is currently telling me not to write this post to stay safe and not spread the idea of defeating it.) 

Defeating the lizard brain can be a challenge because it isn’t easy. The lizard brain will win battles, for no matter what reason; too tired, not enough time, get laughed at, it’s a stupid idea, or the biggest reason you might fail. I say fail with style. Once you learn to fail is when you will learn to succeed because failing gives you the tenacity and experience to make sure whatever you are doing succeeds. My lizard brain hates failing. It hates it because I didn’t listen to it in the first place, and I am less likely to listen to it again when I try a different approach.

Your lizard brain is different than mine is, I know how mine works because I fight back. I don’t know how to beat yours, but it is defeatable. Just like everything worthwhile it takes persistence and work.

Some starters
·         Do a new activity that you have always wanted to do but don’t know how
·         Learn a new skill even though it may not be “masculine” or “feminine” in your eyes
·         Go talk to the person who has caught your eye
·         Get yourself to a gym and lift heavy things instead of being stuck on a treadmill
·         Read and research



Reference
Godin, Seth (2010) Linchpin: Are you Indispensible? Penguin Group.

1 comment:

  1. This is indeed a fantastic resource. Thank you for making this publicly available.

    Locklizard

    ReplyDelete