Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

"The Magic Box"

I had a first session with a client the other day and on the interest paper it read "searching for the magic box."  I thought to myself keep looking and let me know when you find it. I met with the client and while we were talking about how to reach the realistic goals we were setting again they mentioned "I want that magic box."  I told them "me too, I would be a 6'4" 250 middle linebacker in the NFL if I had that magic box. But as much as we wish for it, it isn't realistic. It takes a good amount of effort to get even the smallest goal achieved.

Unfortunately I still find myself occasionally searching for that elusive magic box in the ways of burying myself in books that I may find the secret  and shortcut to whatever it is I am looking for. I laugh when I realize I am doing it, whether I am trying to figure out the ins and outs of economics and finance, because I have no formal background in it, or looking for the next research study or therapy book to learn from and pull new information out of it.

While searching for this magic box I have realized I have had it all along and all that I learn through formal education, informal education and interaction are different tools that fit into the box that make it magical. Some of the information will be more important at different times, and some of it won't fit until a specific time or place. However, it all helps along the way.

So when you find yourself looking for the magic box realize that you already have it and you just need to pull the right tool from it. The answer might not be right in front of your face, or at the top of the box, but make the effort to find the right tool for the situation and it will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment